Ephesians 4/Leviticus 26
- The cycles of discipline are based on the principle that Jesus Christ controls history directly, indirectly, and permissively.
a. He controls history directly through the function of His own divine essence. He created, He caused plagues, He moved a star into position, etc.
b. He controls history indirectly through the function of the laws of divine establishment. Beginning in Gen. 9:6, man was responsible for laws of divine establishment
c. He controls history permissively through permitting nations to use their own volition to destroy themselves. He permissively allows us to make decisions, some empowered by the Holy Spirit and some done in the flesh based on our own wants and desires.
- History Administered by God – Dispensations
a. Israel was an agricultural economy – long before industrialization
b. This applies directly to Israel – not to other nations. Trends should be warnings.
- The Five Cycles of Discipline for Israel Lev 26
a. The first cycle of discipline, Lev 26:14-17
i. The Law is composed of three parts
ii. Description of the first cycleb. The second cycle of discipline, Lev 26:18-20
c. Third cycle of discipline Lev 26:21-22
d. Fourth cycle of discipline Lev 26:23-26
e. Fifth cycle of discipline Lev 26:27-39 amplified in Deut 28:49-67
- God warned a specific generation? Hebrews: 5 warning judgments
5. God declares to us what the end times will be like in our dispensation 2 Tim. 3:1-5
- God was clear, because He wanted Israel to understand there were consequences to choices. God would bless their socks off or provide divine discipline to restore them to His love.
- God loved Israel because of His choice, but the experience of that love was dependent on their response to Him.
- God will re-gather Israel to wait for the coming triumphant Messiah – the Lord Jesus Christ.
- What has God made clear to you? Are you responding well to Him? How are/is your devotions, prayer, fellowship, raising godly children, helping to raise godly grandchildren?
- Leave the world behind you. There is NOTHING in the world that even remotely compares to what you will see or experience in heaven. All that matters now is reaching people for Christ and multiplying disciple-makers to the Lord Jesus Christ.
- God is giving you options of choosing to bond to this world or helping people look forward potentially to their home in heaven.