These are suggestions to the Message Based Discussion Questions from the message presented on October 5, 2014 “Salvation Truth.” Please use to stimulate your thinking, but not to replace it.
Why is there confusion over the gospel?
1) The Lord Jesus has allowed three positions in evangelicalism.
- The first view teaches that believers can turn from grace and
- The second view teaches “the sinner who wants to be saved must not only trust Christ as his substitute for sin, but…
- 1 John 5:13
- The third view maintains that salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone in Christ…
- Heb. 10:10-14
2) Scripture makes clear that salvation is by faith alone in the Lord Jesus John 6:22-29
- John 6:29 He addresses no…
- Jn. 11:20-27. This is the same as John 3:16
- John 3:18. Believe is used three times to emphasize the point.
- John 1:12; 20:30-31
- Acts 10:30-47
- Salvation is a gift Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:8,9.
3) Scripture distinguishes works and grace Rom. 11:1-6
Why is there confusion?
- Jam. 3:16; 1 Cor. 14:33
Salvation is by Grace alone in Christ alone, by faith alone.
- If you add anything prior to faith, it is not faith alone.
- If you add anything after faith, it is not faith alone.
- The Free Grace position is the only biblical position.
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) When did you first understand the gospel of Jesus Christ? Who explained it to you?
- I was 14 and at a church camp in Colorado.
- The leadership at the camp.
2) Faith is trusting in or reliance upon something. Faith requires an object for the action. For example, you have faith a plane will get you to point b. So you get on the plane and sit there. You have done nothing to help the plane take off, fly, or land. There is no merit given to the person who has faith, because the “faith” does not accomplish “the action.” What are other examples of faith? Who are examples of faith in the Scripture?
- Examples of faith:
- Walking on ice.
- Believing the advertisement on television.
- Allowing your children to have the keys to your car.
- Trusting the food that is presented at a restaurant.
- People of faith:
- Moses when he left the pleasures of Egypt.
- Joseph when he took Mary as his wife.
- Abraham when he was willing to sacrifice Isaac.
3) When Jesus said, “It is finished!” (John 19:30), did He mean that the work for salvation was completed? __yes__ If the work of salvation is completed, then what still has to be done?
- There is nothing that needs to be done.
- However, the work of Christ has to be received (or taken). That is called faith and it is non-meritorious, that is, there is no merit to it.
4) Can a person know if he is saved or not? _yes__ What are the visible signs that he can have assurance of his salvation (Heb. 6:10-12; 10:22-24)? If he does not have works, what does that possibly communicate (Eph. 2:10, 1 Cor. 3:1-3)?
- The visible signs are that he is pursuing a relationship with the Lord Jesus and serving Him on earth. He is seeking to stimulate others to love and good works.
- If he does not have works, it may communicate that he is not a Christian, OR he is a baby Christian and needs nurturing, OR that he is rebellious in the downward spiral.
Making application from the message:
5) If salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, what passages of Scripture would you use to stir someone to pursue good works for God’s glory?
- He should also consider Heb. 6:1-10; Col. 1:27-29; 1 Thes. 2:9
- He could look at 2 Tim. 2:15; Eph. 4:28; 1 Cor. 3:8
- Passages like Eph 2:10; Titus 2:11-14; Phil. 3:10-14; 2:17
6) What happens if someone thinks he has salvation and chooses not to diligently pursue godly works? What are the possible ways his relationship with the Lord Jesus is affected?
- He loses out on blessings and rewards
- He will be disciplined by the Lord (Heb. 12:5-6; Rev. 3:14-21)
- He dishonors the Lord Jesus
7) How does a growing Christian (a disciple) keep grace in mind while he is “working” for the Lord Jesus (Eph. 5:18; Col. 1:29; Gal. 5:22-23)?
- He remembers that only what he does in the power of the Holy Spirit has any credible divine worth Eph. 5:18
- He knows that he will labor to the point of exhaustion in the empowerment of the Holy Spirit Col. 1:29
- He knows that the divine fruit is by the fruit of the Holy Spirit Gal. 5:22-23