These are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions from the message presented on Palm Sunday on April 13, 2014. These are designed to stimulate thinking, not prevent it. Please dig and develop additional responses for discussion!
What success was Jesus expecting from life?
1) Jesus taught and healed all the way to the cross Luke 18-19
- Luke 18:32-34
2) Jesus rode into town on a colt for Scripture’s sake (not His own) Luke 19:28-44
- He arrived on _Friday__ Luke 19:28
- He dealt with __logistics__ Luke 19:29-34
- Zech 9:9; 1 Kg. 1:33
- The __parade____ began Luke 19:35-38; Ps. 118:25-26
- How did Jesus respond? Luke 19:41-44
3) Jesus finished His Father’s business before the cross
Jesus worked for one kind of success – to please The Father!
You will have success as you please the Lord!
- After your few years of love and coddling from parents, life will be full of testing and difficulty John 16:33
- Man may give you acclaim, but it may be short lived. In less than a week, instead of lifting up His name, they wanted to lift up His head. Luke 23:21
- Only one life, ‘twill soon be past, only what is done for Christ will last. C.T. Studd
What success are you expecting from life?
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) Have you ever had an expectation, that didn’t happen? How did it affect you?
- I thought one day I was going to fall off a mountain road, because it was single lane, snowing and no one knew where we were. Praise the Lord, it didn’t happen.
- I expected my first car to keep running without engine problems. I in for the school of hard knocks!
2) Do people tend to finish well? _no Can you think of several examples of those who did finish well, and those who did not? (consider Gen. 50:20; Deut. 34:9-12; 2 Chron. 12:13-15; 16: 11-14; 20:34-37; 25: 20-28; 27:19-22; 36: 5-8; 36:9-10) What others?
- Gen. 50:20 Joseph finished well
- Deut. 34:9-12 Moses finished well
- 2 Chron. 12:13-15 Rehoboam did not
- 2 Chron. 16:11-14 Asa did not
- 2 Chron. 20:34-37 Jehoshaphat did not
- 2 Chron. 25:20-28 Amaziah did not
- 2 Chron. 27:19-22 Ahaz did not
- 2 Chron. 36:5-8 Jehoiakim did not
- 2 Chron. 36:9-10 Jehoiachin did not
3) Are people fickle? _yes__ What are examples in Scripture where people have changed their mind? (consider Gen. 50:16-18; Ex. 8:8,15; 8:25, 28, 32; Num. 12:2, 11; Gal. 2:11-13) Other examples?
- Gen. 50:16-18 Joseph’s brothers
- Exod. 8:8,15 Pharoah changed his heart
- Exod. 8:25,28,32 Pharoah changed his heart
- Num. 12:2,11 Aaron
- Gal. 2:11-13 Peter and Barnabas
4) What does God want you to pursue in life? _to please God_ What did Paul say he pursued in his life? (consider 2 Cor. 5:9; Phil. 1:21; 3:7-14; Col. 1:10)
- 2 Cor. 5:9 – his goal and aim is to please Him
- Phil. 1:21 – his life is to please Him
- Phil. 3:7-14 – nothing mattered, but to please Him and live for Him
- Col. 1:10 – to please Him in all things, walk worthy, bear fruit in every good work and continue growing in the knowledge of Jesus
Making application of the message to life:
5) How would you describe Jesus’ desire for success as different from the world’s desire for success?
- His desire for success was to please the Father Luke 22:42
- He cared for the people who would reject Him Luke 19:41
- He was willing to die for those who crucified Him Luke 23:21
6) What are several things you could do in order to demonstrate you have the same expectations from life that Jesus had?
- I’d have to die to myself Luke 9:23-24
- I’d have to put off my desires for self and seek to disciple others only Matt. 28:19-20
- I’d have to humble myself before Him and others 1 John 1:9; Jam. 5:16
- I’d have to be completely dependent on the Holy Spirit Eph. 5:18
- I’d have to let Jesus live through me Gal. 2:20
- I’d have to live for Jesus alone Phil. 1:21
7) How would you disciple someone who did not have the expectations that Jesus had?
- Love them 1 Thes. 5:14; 1 Cor. 13:4-7
- Come alongside them Gal. 6:1-2
- See if they are committed to Jesus Matt. 4:19
- See if they are willing to come alongside others 2 Tim. 2:2
- Give them greater responsibilities 1 Tim. 4:12-16
- Model the life to them 1 Thes. 2:7-12