These are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions for the message presented on April 6, 2014. The answers are meant to stimulate more thinking, not hinder thinking.
How do you disciple others in and to godliness?
1 Tim. 4:6,11; 4:7,8
1) Disciple followers in Scripture 4:6 child traing
- [2 Tim. 2:24-26; 1 Cor. 16:9]
- 2 T 1:5; 2:2. .
2) Discipline yourself to godliness 4:7-8
- Pursue Jesus1 Tim. 6:11,12
3) Diligently pursue hope in Jesus 4:9-10
- Col. 1:29 (same) Paul willingly did this for others. Why?
- 1 Pet 1:13; [1 Tim. 2:1-7]
4) Direct your conversations to godliness 4:11
- [1 Cor. 16:10-11]
- Matt. 28:19-20
Jesus is the living God:
Godliness in Jesus comes from the discipline of discipleship!
- We must have nourishment from God’s Word to be godly. The Holy Spirit is your gumnasiarch.
- Discipline implies self-control. Self-control results from the filling of the Holy Spirit.
- Diligence means you will labor to exhaustion and agonize in growing to godliness. You should be tired!
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) Do you exercise very much? What motivates you or what prevents you from exercising?
- Not as much as I probably should, but I keep the blood moving.
- The desire for good health, remove toxins and to have endurance to work long hours and remain flexible as I age.
- Busyness in the schedule prevents exercise.
2) What should you use to disciple followers of Jesus? _Scripture___ What are some specifics you would want to disciple from it for godliness?
- Oneness with Jesus Christ John 10:10-14
- Identity in Jesus Christ Col. 2:9-10
- Commitment to the Lordship of Jesus Matt. 4:19
- Commitment to being changed by Jesus Matt. 4:19
- Commitment to making disciple-makers Matt. 4:19
- Confession of sin and repentance 1 Jn. 1:9; 2 Cor. 7:9-11
- Good works in the power of the Holy Spirit 1 Cor. 3:12-15; Tit. 2:7,14; 3:1,8,14 (kalos – good of intrinsic value, which can only be done empowered by the Holy Spirit)
- Commitment to the assembly Heb. 10:24-25
- Eternal security John 3:16; 6:37; 10:28-30
- Sanctification John 17:17; 1 Thes. 4:3-10
- Love God and others Matt. 22:37-39
3) If it is wrong to do what you’re not supposed to do, does it matter if you don’t do what you are supposed to do? _yes__ Based on this passage what are the things Paul directs Timothy to do and therefore all of us?
- Put the Truth before others 1 Tim. 4:6
- Be nourished, daily, on Scripture 1 Tim. 4:6
- Learn to categorize Scripture to understand all of what it says about every subject 1 Tim. 4:6
- Learn to carefully follow that doctrine 1 Tim. 4:6
- Reject foolish talk 1 Tim. 4:7
- Discipline self toward godliness 1 Tim. 4:7
- Pursue and live in godliness 1 Tim. 4:8
- Trust the promise for the “now” and for “what is to come 4:8
- Labor in godliness to disciple others 1 Tim. 4:10
- Agonize against the flesh to do God’s will 1 Tim. 4:10
- Trust in the Living God 1 Tim. 4:10
- Present Jesus as Savior to all men 1 Tim. 4:10
- Direct these things of and for godliness 1 Tim. 4:11
- Teach them in and for godliness 1 Tim. 4:11
4) Based on the message text, for whom did Jesus die? _all men__ Do any of the following passages give any other teaching (cf. John 1:29; 3:16; 4:42; 1 Tim. 1:15; 2:1-6; 4:10; 1 John 2:2; 4:14; 5:19)?
- John 1:29 Jesus takes away the sins of the world
- John 3:16 God loved the whole world
- John 4:42 Savior of Gentiles also (the world)
- 1 Tim. 1:15 Jesus came to save sinners – “all”
- 1 Tim. 2:1-6 He is Mediator between all men
- 1 Tim. 4:10 He is Savior of all, especially to those who believe
- 1 John 2:2 He is propitiation of our sins and those of whole world
- 1 John 4:14 He is Savior of the world
- 1 John 5:19 The who world is under the sway of the devil
Making application of the message to life:
5) What are at least five things that seem to hinder a Christian’s walk/ run with God?
- Lack of commitment to His Word 2 Tim. 2:15
- Lack of filling of the Holy Spirit Eph. 5:18
- Lack of living by faith Rom. 14:23
- Doubting God Jam. 1:6-8
- Lack of humility to do God’s will John 14:15
6) How difficult is it to direct conversations to focus on and continue in godliness?
- Very difficult
- We will talk about everything else.
7) How would you disciple another to live in godliness? What topics could you cover?
- Talk to him about the character of God and how Jesus was absolutely concerned with fulfilling the will of God John 5:19, 30; Luke 22:42
- Sanctification John 17:17; 1 Thes. 4:3-10
- Mortifying the flesh Rom. 6:12-14
- Seeking what is above Col. 3:1-4
- Put offs and Put ons Eph. 4:22-24; 4:25-32
- Character of God Ex. 3:14