These are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions from the message presented on March 30, 2014 as part of the series on 1 Timothy. These are provided to stimulate thinking, but not prohibit from additional thinking.
Why disciple others to follow Jesus, instead of Truth principles?
1) Demons will deceive some from Jesus 4:1
- 2 Pet. 2:20-21; 1 Tim. 1:18-20; 1 Cor. 5:1-5; 2 Cor. 2:8-11; 11:12-15
2) Some believers are deceived from Jesus 4:2
- Matt. 23:28; Gal. 2:13
- Ensnared by the devil 2 Tim. 2:24-26; Jam. 4:1-3
- Hold for a form of godliness, but deny the power 2 Tim. 3:5
- How? It’s the downward spiral Eph. 4:17-19 NEBISCO; Eph. 1:1-4
- Negative sinful choices
- Emptiness of the soul
- Blackout of the soul
- Ignorance induced
- Separation from God
- Callused soul
- Occupation with evil
- Eternal security – 1 Cor. 3:12-15 smoky eternity.
3) Some believers will deceive others from the Truth of Jesus 4:3
- Forbidding to marry 1 Cor. 7:20; Gen. 2:24; Mal. 2:15.
- Asceticism Col. 2:20-23)
4) Jesus reveals Truth for all to enjoy 4:4-5
Jesus is holy: Live your life welded to Him and you’ll discern deceitfulness!
- Live in the liberty Jesus provided at the cross Gal. 5:1
- If it’s not specifically written in Scripture, let your conscience be your guide. Rom. 14:1-13 Do not defile another person’s conscience.
- Show your dependency on God by giving thanks for your food and all things 1 Sam. 9:13; Matt. 14:19; 15:36; Acts 27:35.
- Be more concerned about people than being right 1 Cor. 8:1-2
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) Did you grow up under strict rules? What were some of the things you might have considered strict?
- The only strict rules were that I had to do my chores! How hard is that!
- I had a curfew; had to work hard; help out when the family worked around the house! I had to be courteous and not pick on my little sister – it was so unfair! My parents made me cut the grass, trim the edges, till the garden, help weed, clean my room, take care of the incinerator, take out trash and many other cruel and unusual strict rules! They probably violated child labor laws today! (excuse my sarcasm!)
2) Are there some believers who have life-dominating sin patterns?_yes_ What are some patterns that most Christians struggle with (cf. Eph. Eph. 4:31-32; 5:18; 2 Cor. 7:11; 1 Pet. 5:7)
- Christians suffer from anger and resentment, but they (I) control it well
- They spend too much time worrying about details and how things are going to turn out in life.
- They don’t spend enough time filled with the Spirit and they live by the flesh rather than the Spirit.
- They don’t repent regarding their sin. They just keep plugging ahead and deny that sin has a big effect on life.
- They carry too many anxieties and don’t cast them onto the Lord.
3) Are there some foods that you cannot eat? _no_ What does Scripture teach about what you can eat (cf. Gen. 1:29-31; 9:3; Mark 7:14-23; 1 Cor. 10:23-26; Acts 10)?
- Gen. 1:29-31 – God gave every herb and tree for food.
- Gen. 9:3 – God added meat to the diet after the flood.
- Mark 7:14-23 – Jesus said all things were approved, because it is not what enters a man that defiles him, but what comes out of the man.
- 1 Cor. 10:23-26 – all things are lawful, from any meat market, ask no questions
- Acts 10 – God directed that all unclean foods were approved
4) Does anyone involved in legalism enjoy himself? _the legalist__ In what way? Read 1 Cor. 6:12-19. Who enjoys legalism? What do they try to do?
- The legalist enjoys having control over others.
- He feels pride because he is spiritual (he thinks)
- He directs what others can handle or do
- He has power over others, just as some govt. officials like power
- The legalist enjoys it, but others should not be brought under their control
- The legalist seeks to gain control over others, even though he is being divisive and controlling. Do not allow him to control through non-Biblical mandates.
Making application from the message:
5) What do you see as necessary in order to ensure you do not slip down the downward spiral? What safeguards could you put into place?
- I need to be welded to Jesus and His Truth Phil. 1:21
- I need to know it, meditate on it, and live it in grace 2 Pet. 3:18
- I need to live a moment by moment faith rest Heb. 4:1-11
- I need to talk about Him instead of unimportant worldly things 1 Pet. 3:15
- I need to live a life of repentance 2 Cor. 7:11
- I need to have regular quiet times, accountability and a broken life Ps. 51:16-17
6) What attitude should you have and how should you approach a brother who is deceiving others with legalism?
- He is my brother and bought by the blood of Jesus Eph. 1:7
- He is my brother with whom I’ll spend eternity John 1:12
- I need to make sure my approach is in accordance with Gal. 6:1
- I need to forgive him of any sin Mark 11:25
- I need to judge myself, before I help him Matt. 7:1,5
- I need to rebuke him in his sin Luke 17:1-4
- I need to love him to the Lord 1 John 4:19
- I am to practice mercy instead of judgment Jam. 2:13
- I need to make every effort to win him to truth Eph. 4:15
- I need to patient with him Rom. 14:1-14; 2 Tim. 2:24-26
7) If God made all things for us to enjoy, what principles do you keep in mind in order to not cause others to stumble?
- I have liberty in Christ for myself Gal. 5:1
- I do not know everything the way I ought 1 Cor. 8:2
- I need to remember Christ died for my brother 1 Cor. 8:11
- If my brother has another standard, I’m going to respect that Rom. 14:1-14
- I’ll major on the majors and all him to live for conscience sake Rom. 14:5
- I’ll become all things to win my brother for his sake 1 Cor. 9:19-21
- I can deny my liberties for his sake Phil. 2:3-4
- Communion Table 1 Cor. 10:20-21
- Gospel 2 Cor. 11:3-4
- Ministers 2 Cor. 11:12-15
- Spirituality Gal. 3:2-3
- Righteousness Matthew 19:16-28
- God’s 2 Thes. 2:3-4
- Power 2 Thes. 2:8-10
- Religions Matthew 23