The following provides suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions from the message presented on March 2, 2014. The answers provided after the message insert are designed to stimulate thinking, not prevent it. SDG
What is Jesus’ priority?
1) Communicate Jesus’ life-giving truth 3:14
- 2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:20-21. 3:14
2) Live holy conduct mirroring Jesus 3:15
- Conduct – how Jesus leads us in life
- House – Matt. 4:4; Heb. 5:12-14; 12:6
- Assembly – Church of living God – 1 Cor. 3:16-17; 2 Cor. 6:16; Eph. 2:19-22
- Pillar – strength, stature, standard, support. Jn. 14:6.”
- Ground -– make stable, è foundation.
Jesus’ priority is our assembly upholding and promoting the truth!
- The enemy wants to diminish the church, because it diminishes God’s way of promoting the truth. Gospel; CEM; hg
- The enemy’s ploys to hinder the truth include division, comparing, slander, distorting, doubting, questioning, and in-house bickering. Seek unity of command under Jesus in church.
- The world, the flesh and the devil are fighting against clarity of the truth. What is your part in stabilizing and promoting the truth?
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) What television shows deal with handling what is true or promoting the truth or distorting what is truth?
- Modern Family – distorts truth
- Matluck – finds the truth
- Duck Dynasty – Redneck truth!
2) What was the first way God communicated truth to Adam and Eve? _He met them for Bible class__ What are ways that God communicated truth (cf. Gen. 20:6; Num. 12:8; 27:21; Ps. 19:1-6; Matt. 11:2-6; Jn. 1:14; Heb. 1:1)?
- Gen. 20:6 – direct voice
- Num. 12:8 – face to face with Moses
- Num. 27:21 – through the priest in the OT
- Ps. 19:1-6 – through general revelation
- Matt. 11:2-6 – through miracles
- Jn. 1:14 – Jesus incarnate walked among us
- Heb. 1:1 – by the prophets
3) What makes the church very important to Jesus, that is, what is it called? The _body_ of Christ (1 Cor. 12:27). What are various expressions used to describe the church in this passage (cf. John 21:16; Acts 2:42; 1 Cor. 12:19-20; 1 Pet. 3:8)?
- John 21:16 – called sheep
- Acts 2:42 – fellowship
- 1 Cor. 12:19-20 – body parts connected and working together
- 1 Pet. 3:8 – brothers in a family
4) What will set you free in life? _Truth_ (Jn. 8:32) How would you define truth? Why is it important? (cf. John 1:14,17; 8:31-32; 14:6; 17:17; Eph. 4:15, 25)
- John 1:14,17 – indwelling of Jesus; grace and truth mirrors who Jesus is, so we have to learn to discern both grace and Truth.
- John 8:31-32 – It’s the Truth that sets us free as we abide in it.
- John 14:6 – Jesus is the Truth, because to know Him is to know the Truth and He is the only way to God (heaven).
- John 17:17 – The Truth has a power to set us apart to God’s will and service and if we abide in it, He will set us apart.
- Eph. 4:15,25 – The Truth is crucial for body life, but it must be spoken in love. It will be seen in not lying.
Making application from the message:
5) Where did the church begin and where does the church end according to Scripture? How do you fit into church history?
- Church began in Acts 2 at Pentecost and will end with the Rapture. It is the time of the royal family of God mirroring the King of Kings and is His body being prepared for the wedding supper of the Lamb.
- Hopefully, I’m at the tale end of church history, but it could go on for hundreds of years. Joined Grace after it began from a merger of two churches and continue to grow with it.
6) How can believers strengthen their church?
- Attend and encourage others to love and good works Heb. 10:24-25.
- Not be strangers, but build it up by joining and serving 1 Cor. 12:19-25
- Using spiritual gifts for the body 1 Peter 4:10-11
- Join a home group and multiply groups to reach more Matt. 28:19-20
- Stretch into leadership positions of overseer and deacon 1 Tim. 3:1
7) How can you disciple people to show the importance of the Truth and the church as its foundation and pillar?
- Focus your energies on receiving what the church has to offer 1 Tim. 3:14-15
- Support the Church as God’s best means of growing His kingdom 1 Tim. 3:14-15
- Invite people to come to church in discipleship Matt. 28:19-20
- Disciple people into the Church 1 Tim. 2:2
- Hold the leadership responsible for communicating Jesus’ life-giving Truth Eph. 4:11-12