Below are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions (MBDQ) from the message presented on January 19. The answers are merely suggestions to stimulate thinking, not to replace it. The MBDQ follows a copy of the insert principles from that message.
How do you mediate?
1) Jesus wants all men to be one 2:3-4
- “Unacceptable prayer” Ps. 66:18
- Pray according to His will 1 John 5:14-15
- 1 Tim. 4:10; Luke 13:34-35; 2 Pet. 3:9
2) Lead people to Jesus for oneness 2:5-6
- [Deut. 6:4] __The Lord is one____________________
- Is. 45:18, 22; 46:9 [Job 1:12] _There is no other__________
- Heb. 9:11-15 [Acts 4:12; John 14:6] _There is no other name_
- [1 Pet. 1:18-19]not bought by gold, but the precious blood of Jesus
- [1 Tim. 2:1,2; 2 Cor. 5:14,15] __on behalf of____________
3) Speak the truth in Jesus for oneness 2:7
- 1 John 2:20,27; Matt. 28:19-20
Jesus wants you to mediate all men to Him! 2 Cor. 5:18-20
- It is incomprehensible what God did to Jesus for you and me! Live the gospel to both unbelievers and believers. It sets both free from themselves.
- Die to your desires that you might bring others to God. It provides a bridge for people to reach God.
- Your heart in God’s hands will determine how you mediate with God and people. Do you have a global picture to reach local people? Do you empathize with where people are in life?
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) Have you ever had to act as a go-between with two people you know? What was it like?
- Counseling in marriage counseling – sometimes it worked well. A couple times it did not.
- When you seek a win-win godly solution, sometimes the parties do not want to see God’s view. Sometimes they get upset. Sometimes one feels like the mediator and other spouse are ganging up on him/her.
2) Is it possible to pray in a way that wouldn’t please God (cf. Jam. 4:1-10; 1 John 5:14-15)? _yes__ How should you pray in order to please God?
- Learn God’s will Eph. 5:15-17
- Grow in sanctification 1 Th. 4:3
- Give thanks for the will of God 1 Th. 5:18
- Doing the will of God Eph. 6:6
- Trust God in doing the will of God Heb. 10:36
- Submit to authorities 1 Pet. 2:15
- Suffer for doing good 1 Pet. 3:17
- Seek God’s will, not fleshly will 1 Pet. 4:2
3) Jesus is the Mediator between God and man. How would you explain that concept to a new Christian? Why is the concept of “mediator” important?
- Jesus as the Mediator had to be equal with God and man to be acceptable.
- He is equal with man, because He was born of Mary Luke 2:16
- He became hungry Luke 4:2
- He became thirsty John 19:28
- He was equal with God Phil. 2:5-8
- He had to be sinless to please the holiness of God 1 John 3:5
- He became sin for us 2 Cor. 5:21
- The concept of Mediator helps us understand God
- God is far beyond our finite understanding
- It helps us understand our place before God
- It helps us understand what Jesus was willing to do for us
- It helps us understand that we had to go through Jesus
4) Paul had a ministry to the Gentiles. Did he not minister to Jews (Rom. 1:16)? __yes__ What were the various expressions he used of himself and how can we better understand his perspective about himself (Rom. 11:13; 15:16; Eph. 3:1; 1 Tim. 2:7)
- Apostle to the Gentiles Rom. 11:13
- Minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles Rom. 15:16
- Prisoner of Christ Jesus for Gentiles Eph. 3:1
- Preacher, Apostle, Teacher of Gentiles 1 Tim. 2:7
- He knew he was on a mission from God and he had work to do. He wasn’t on earth for himself.
Making application of the message to life:
5) How can you develop a “heart of God” to pray for the salvation of people around you?
- Ask God for that heart of compassion Matt. 9:36
- Seek to be a bondservant of Christ Eph. 6:6
- Fear God Col. 3:22
- Check my actions if they are at all like Jesus 1 John 3:17
- Am I talking to people around me about Jesus 1 Cor. 15:58
6) What is God’s part and our part in the salvation and sanctification process?
- My part is to respond to His calling John 3:16
- His part is to regenerate me Tit. 3:5
- My part is to receive Him John 1:12
- His part is to save me John 1:13
7) What would God desire that you do in order to see His work more evident?
- Take great steps of faith in trusting Him.
- Be more bold in taking the time to talk to neighbors.
- Restrict what I do for myself in order to come alongside others.
- Measure the divine fruit of talking to and reaching others for Christ.
Read Is. 50:4 for your encouragement.