Revelation of Jesus Christ
This opening passage introduces us to the author, audience and what the book is about – the Revelation of Jesus Christ. While a small portion (Revelation 2-3) describes the audience – the church – the majority (Revelation 4-19) is about how God will complete His Covenants to Israel and the Second Coming of Jesus. It closes with the new heavens to come.
The Alpha and Omega – Rev 1:1-8
|New Earth Gen. 1||New Heavens Rev. 21|
|Begins in Paradise Gen. 2||Paradise to come Rev. 21-22|
|Devil introduced Gen. 3:1-2||Devil doomed Rev. 20:10|
|God’s word questioned Gen 3:1-2||Word of God upheld Rev. 22:19|
|Man’s first rebellion Gen. 3:1-6||Man’s last rebellion Rev. 20:11-15|
|Satan’s head crushed promised 3:15||Satan’s head bruised and crushed Rev 20:2,10|
|Curse imposed Gen. 3:15-18||Curse removed Rev. 22:3|
|Tree of Life removed Gen. 3:24||Tree of Life awaits Rev. 22:2|
|Human Life murdered Gen. 4:8||Human life in Book of Life 21:27|
|Sorrow from sin begins Gen. 3,4||Sorrow removed Rev. 21:4|
|First death Gen. 4:8||No more death Rev. 21:4|
Why study Revelation?
- To reveal who Jesus Christ is 1:1
- To reveal the course of future history 1:1; 22:6
- To complete the testimony of John 1:2
- To receive God’s blessing 1:3; Rev. 22:7
- To warn believers to alertness 1:3; 2 Pet. 3:14-15; 1 Thes. 4:13-18
- Do not say it cannot be understood.
- Do not be overly dogmatic on the details.
- Do not major only on Revelation.
1. The revelation of Jesus to John 1:1-3
- 1:1 Subject –
- 1:1 Source –
- 1:1 Scribe –
- 1:1 Speed –
- 1:2 Sight –
- 1:3 Spiritual Blessing –
2. John writing to the seven churches 1:4-9
- 1:4 Seven Churches
- 1:4 Salutation
- 1:4 Son – Who was, is, is to come
- 1:4 Seven Spirits –
- 1:5 Savior –
- His character 1:5
- His ministry 1:5-8
- His present ministry –
- His present work –
- His future work –
- His title –
- God wants you to know what is ahead in the future.
- God wants you to know what is ahead in your future.
- He wants you to know that Jesus Christ is the future.
- I need to trust Him for my future.
- I need to be content with His presence, not His presents, rewards, or blessings.
- I need to build bridges to others to help them be content with His presence.
- I need to share this material with two other people.
- How is Revelation the capstone of the Bible?
- Does God look at time the way we do? Why? and How so?
- In what is the blessing found in this book?
- Do people live for the present or the future? How so?
- Why did/does God bless America?
- What do I need to consider for my personal life related to the challenges in this passage?