Below are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions from the message presented on June 22, 2014. They are provided in order to stimulate thinking, not prevent it. May the Lord use this study to help your family and friends!
What will make you content?
- Contentment is found in Jesus not the world 6:6-8
- 1 Tim. 6:3-5; Titus 1:11
- Seeking contentment in the world leads to sorrow 6:9-10
- 1 Tim. 3:3
- Pursue Jesus in whom all contentment belongs 6:11-16
- 1 Tim. 6:11 What’s the put off? __flee_____________
- What’s the put on? ____pursue_________
- Standard Result
- Righteousness- __godliness___________
- Faith – __love_______________
- Patience – __gentleness__________
- 1 Tim. 6:12 What does “fight” mean? ___agonize________________
- 1 Tim. 6:13 What example did Jesus give? ___died to Himself_______
- 1 Tim. 6:14 So we need to __guard________ the Word
- 1 Tim. 6:15-16 How is Jesus described? __ blessed_____ _potentate__ __King of Kings and Lord of Lords____ __immortality__ _unapproachable light__ __honor___ __power___
Jesus is your contentment! Pursue Him and you’ll never want for anything else.
Phil. 4:11-13 it must be learned through worshiping Jesus!
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) When you were young how much money seemed like a lot of money, especially if you had it, you’d be satisfied?
- At one time, because I was dealing with pennies, I’m sure 100.00 seemed like a lot, then it progressively went up
2) Can a Christian be content in life? _yes____ The message said that “Contentment is found in Jesus, not the world. 1 Tim. 6:6-8” Why is that not only difficult, but hard to pin down?
- It’s hard to pin down, because Jesus is invisible and we cannot use our five senses to relate to Him because He is Spirit.
- I want to measure whether I am content or not and it’s hard to measure the spiritual. I can only see it in the fruit of transformation and Divine works!
3) Do the wicked prosper (cf. Jer. 5:28; 12:1)? __yes & no__ If the wicked prosper, then how could seeking contentment in the world lead to sorrow? How would you explain this to a young person?
- The wicked may have a temporary happiness, when they have stuff.
- The stuff will begin to own them as they try to store it, protect it, take care of it and find it.
- I’d explain it by showing a hoarders home and asking them if things would be difficult to find, maintain or enjoy at any given time. I’d take them to Scripture that talks about true joy in life Ps. 16:11; John 15:10-11. I’d also talk about the joy of obedience that produces contentment.
4) Is there anything wrong with trying to “get ahead” in life? _no___ Note the following passages and use them to find a balance in life (Pro. 15:27; 20:21; 21:6; 22:16; Jam. 5:1-4; 1 John 2:15-17).
- Pro. 15:27 Greediness brings trouble to the whole house
- Pro. 20:21 Quick riches lose their blessing
- Pro. 21:6 Lying to gain riches is a fantasy and they seek death
- Pro. 22:16 those who oppress the poor will come to poverty
- Jam. 5:1-4 Riches will rot and not help before the Lord
- 1 John 2:15-17 love of the fading world does not abide with God.
Making application from the message to life:
5) What are five reasons it is easier to pursue riches than it is to pursue Jesus?
- I can measure whether I have them or not; can’t as easy with Jesus
- I can see them and hold them; can’t with Jesus
- I can use them to control what I can purchase and do; can’t really with Jesus
- I can use them to impress others; most don’t with Jesus
- The world values riches, because it lives by the five senses, not on spiritual principles
6) How would you help a young person see the dangers of accumulating things (riches) in life?
- Give examples of what riches do to people like the rich young ruler
- Help him see how it affects other as Zacchaeus was black marked by others
- Give him examples in life what has happened to people when they win the lottery
- Provide examples of wealthy sports or Hollywood types who are miserable
7) What do the characteristics that are given to Jesus in the passage mean to you?
- Blessed – Because He is and He is inside of me, I have His blessed presence.
- Potentate – He is all powerful in His rule and all things that He desires for me will be accomplished as well as all He wants me to do can be accomplished.
- King of Kings and Lord of Lords – there is no one who can thwart what He wants done in life. His is King over all.
- Immortality – He is the Alpha and Omega and understands how best to accomplish His will through me, because He has all eternity and omniscience to make His life flow through me.
- Unapproachable light – He is so holy, I can never approach Him, but in the Spirit, I can approach His throne of grace.
- All honor – He is worthy of all honor and will blessing, so I will humble myself before His will
- All power – I can do all things through Him who strengthens me