The following are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions for the message presented on April 20, 2014. They are designed to stimulate thinking, not prevent it.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21
After the cross, how did the disciples know what to do?
1) Isn’t Jesus dead? John 20:1-10
2) He is living! John 20:19-23
3) Live in Him! John 20:26-31
Jesus is our living God!
Live your life in Jesus and you’ll influence others!
- Let your life shine so others believe your God is living!
- Tell your whole body to awaken and tell others Jesus is living!
- Join the cause to tell others that Jesus is living!
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) When was the first time you went to a Resurrection Sunday service? What do you remember about it?
- I don’t remember the exact first Resurrection Sunday, however, I remember several in which little girls were dressed up in their new dresses, boys wore neat little suits and everyone was in a good mood!
- There was extra singing and a full choir.
2) Do people live like Jesus is alive and directing their life? _sometimes__ What does it look like when people live like Jesus is dead? What does it look like when people live like Jesus is alive?
- When Jesus is not considered living, people are discouraged, downcast and lack hope. They (I) do not realize that nothing escapes God’s notice and that God will work every situation together for good.
- When Jesus is considered living, people are alive spiritually and are telling others about Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord! They are serving at their church and anticipating God working in their lives. They are being discipled and discipling others. They are working toward unity in the body of Christ, experiencing God’s peace and making peace with others. They are empowered by God’s Spirit and experiencing God’s forgiveness as well as forgiving others. They live out the beatitudes.
3) The disciples were confused about Jesus’ resurrection, because they didn’t find Him in the tomb. Were they wrong in looking there? _That was all they understood_ What were they expecting? What Scriptures would you use?
- They were expecting Jesus to set up His kingdom them. Mark 10:37-40
- Jesus had manifested his glory on the Mount of Transfiguration Matt. 17:1-2
- After the resurrection, they were still expecting Him to set up His kingdom Acts 1:6-8
- Paul saw that His return was imminent 1 Cor. 15:50-52
4) Thomas is often called “Doubting Thomas.” Is that an appropriate title for him? _no_ What other believers in Scripture might be characterized like Thomas?
- Thomas was like anyone else who depended on his physical senses and logic rather than by faith.
- Other believers would include:
- Cain who took matters in his own hands rather than trust God Gen. 4:7-8
- Joseph’s brothers who sold Joseph to get rid of him Gen. 37:23-28
- Dathan and Abiram who questioned God’s authority in Moses Num. 16:1-5
- Judas attempted to force Jesus to set up His kingdom Matt. 26:14-25
- Simon thought he could purchase God’s power with money Acts 8:14-22
Making application from the message to life:
5)What are several areas of other people’s lives in which they live like they do not believe Jesus is living?
- Many live without moral restraint, not realizing our holy God is aware of every act of wickedness Heb. 4:13
- Many live with “acceptable sins” of worry, frustration, resentment, divisiveness, blaming, gossip, slander. Jesus is alive and holy and not pleased with any sin 1 Pet. 1:13-18
- Many live with sins of omission, that is, they do not do what God commands that they should do, like be witnesses with the gospel and disciple others to godliness Acts 1:8; Matt. 28:19-20
6) How would you disciple someone to live like Jesus is living?
- I need to live according to 2b above
- I need to have a contagious lifestyle Phil. 3:9-14
- I need to reveal that it is the Lord living through me Gal. 2:20
- I need to overcome problems of life 1 John 5:5
- I need to spend time in relationship and intentional discipleship 2 Tim. 2:2
- I need to give him opportunities to risk growth and opportunities to practice ministry 1 Tim. 4:12-16
7) What are several areas of life that could be influenced if we truly believed Jesus was living and we needed to live in Him?
- We would have a trusting, transparent local church 1 Cor. 12:19-25
- We would have a holy church 1 Pet. 1:13-18
- We would have a strong outreach Matt. 28:19-20
- We would have joy in our lives Gal. 5:22-23
- We would be multiplying as we witness and disciple 2 Tim. 2:2
- We would be anticipating growth in Him 2 Pet. 3:18