These Message Based Discussion Question answers are provided as a stimulus to thinking through the questions. They are not to replace thinking, but assist for your deeper thoughts. The message was presented on March 23, 2014.
John 18:33-38; 14:6
Why disciple to His Truth?
1) Demons will deceive believers from Jesus 1 Tim. 4:1
- 2 Pet. 2:20-21; 1 Tim. 1:18-20; 1 Cor. 5:1-5; John 10:10; 2 Cor. 2:8-11; 11:12-15
2) Believers will be deceived from Jesus 1 Tim. 4:2/
- Matt. 23:28; Gal. 2:13 ; 2 Tim. 2:26; 2 Tim. 3:5
3) Some believers will deceive the body from the Truth of Jesus
1 Tim. 4:3
4) Jesus reveals His Truth in His Word for you 1 Tim. 4:4-5
Jesus is Truth: Follow Him and you’ll learn with believers to discern Truth!
- Do not deceive yourself that you can discern all things. Even with the Word, you will need God’s Spirit and disciplers of God’s Word.
- Commit to follow Jesus and He’ll transform your discernment to know the Truth.
- Radically follow Him rather than vegging in the world.
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) What kind of television shows or movies question Truth in some way?
- Which ones promote the Truth might be easier!
- Modern Family and others, but I’m not a regular viewer.
2) Does God speak to us today? _yes_ What different ways has God spoken according to Scripture? What and whom does He use to communicate the truth?
- Genesis 18:1-5 The Lord appeared as the Angel of the Lord
- Exodus 3:2The burning bush – a theophany – appearance of God
- Isaiah 1:1 Through visions
- Exodus 28:30 Urim and Thummim
- Romans 1:18-21 that which is seen in nature or creation
- Exodus 14:13-20 the providence of God in history
- John 1:14,18 The Living Word – the person of Christ
- 2 Timothy 3:16 The Written Word – Scripture
- Heb. 1:1-2 by His Son and prophets
- He uses the church 1 Tim. 3:14-15
- He uses pastor-teachers Eph. 4:11
- He uses prepared believers 2 Tim. 2:15
3) Today, are there any sources that promote what is not true? _yes__ How does the enemy try to deceive believers today? (cf. Job 1:6-11; Eph. 4:17-18; 1 Cor. 10:19-21; 1 Thes. 2:18; 1 Pet. 5:6-8; Heb. 2:14-15)
- Satan deceives through circumstances Job 1:6-11
- Through pulling believers down the downward spiral Eph. 4:17-18
- Through demons and counterfeit rituals 1 Cor. 10:19-21
- Through prevention of meeting with believers 1 Thes. 2:18
- Through fear of life 1 Pet. 5:6-8
- Through fear of death Heb. 2:14-15
4) Does alertness really matter that much after a person becomes a Christian? _yes_ Why is alertness so important to Paul (cf. 1 Tim. 4:1; 2 Tim. 4:4; Titus 1:14)?
- There are deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons 1 Tim. 4:1
- Believers will turn their ears away from the Truth 2 Tim. 4:4
- Believers will pursue fables and commandments of men Tit. 1:14
Making application from the message:
5) What five steps could you incorporate into your life to be more alert to deceitfulness?
- Be consistent in reading and meditating on Scripture daily
- Develop of plan of discipling three other people
- Sing in the car when there isn’t anyone else around
- Implement a plan of studying doctrines of Scripture
- Verify every message according to Scripture
6) How would you help a youth or disciple become more alert to deceitfulness?
- Have weekly contact with a couple of youth and talk about Scripture
- Be available to the youth leaders for assistance in activities
- Develop a relationship with the youth of trust
- Get to know the youth’s parents and disciple them
7) What does it look like that Jesus is your only source of Truth?
- I trust only Scripture and seek to consume it
- I have a regular times of meditation and prayer with Him
- I gain greater stability going through trials, because my eyes are on Him
- You are on alert any time you are not reading Scripture
- You dependently ask Jesus for the Holy Spirit to guide you into Truth
- Communion Table 1 Cor. 10:20-21
- Gospel 2 Cor. 11:3-4
- Ministers 2 Cor. 11:12-15
- Spirituality Gal. 3:2-3
- Righteousness Matthew 19:16-28
- God’s 2 Thes. 2:3-4
- Power 2 Thes. 2:8-10
- Religions Matthew 23