Doctrine means “teaching.” This doctrine is an essential Truth to understand the awesomeness of Jesus Christ. Do not pass go, collect 200 dollars or leave your seat until you understand this very important Truth!
1) Definition- At the Virgin Birth of Christ, deity and humanity were inseparably united without mixture or loss of identity, without loss or transfer of properties or attributes- the union being personal and eternal. Jesus Christ is the unique Person of the universe. He is fully God and true humanity in one Person forever.
2) Nomenclature (meanings of words): hupostasis has the meaning “stand under,” “take a thing upon oneself,” Heb. 1:3 cf. Jn. 1:1-14; Rom. 1:2-5; 9:5; Phil. 2:5-11; 1 Tim. 3:16; Heb. 2:14.
3) The true doctrine of Kenosis (emptying): Christ voluntarily restricted the independent use of Divine attributes Phil. 2:5-8.
4) The false doctrine of Kenosis states that Christ laid aside His divine attributes of deity and was merely man. As stated before, He did not get rid of the divine attributes, He merely restricted the independent use of them and was dependent upon the empowerment of the Holy Spirit as He completely fulfilled the will of the Father John 5:19,30.
5) Results of the Hypostatic Union.
- There was no loss of each nature. He continued and continues to be the same essence as the Father. There was no loss of any attribute of deity.
- The essence of humanity was added without change Heb. 13:8.
- The joining was not a mixing. He was not a deified man nor a humanized God. He was and is the God- man.
- He was able to die an efficacious death (equal with both parties) Phil. 2:8.
- He was able to redeem man Gal. 3:13; 4:4,5.
6) Jesus Christ exercised divine attributes only under the ministry of God the Holy Spirit. In order to be the Lamb of God, He had to be completely equal with man, which meant all that He did was through the power of the Holy Spirit Matt. 4:1; Rom. 1:4; 1 Tim. 3:16; Luke 4:1,14, 18; 5:17, 6:19; 8:46; Acts 10:38; Heb. 9:14.
7) The importance of humanity:
- He had to be equal with man Heb. 2:17-18; 4:14-16.
- It was necessary for His substitution for man 1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Cor. 5:21.
- To be the Savior Phil. 2:7-8; Heb. 2:14-15.
- To be the Mediator 1 Tim. 2:5-6.
- To be the High priest, who represents man before God Heb. 7:26-27; 10:10-14.
- To be the Son of David 2 Sam. 7:8-16; Ps. 89:28-37.
8) Proof of his humanity.
- He was born of a woman Gal. 4:4.
- He had normal human development Luke 2:52.
- He died and was buried Jn. 19:30; 1 Cor. 15:3,4.
9) His humanity was sinless 2 Cor. 5:21; Heb. 4:15; 1 Pet. 2:22; 1 Jn. 3:5.