The Message Based Discussion Questions are connected to the message presented on January 26, 2014. The suggested answers follow the message outline and are designed to stimulate thinking, not hinder it.
How do you disciple worship?
1) Disciple men to worship in dependence on Jesus 2:8
- Prayer reveals dependence
- Col. 2:6
- 1 Pet. 3:7; Jam. 1:6-8
- What does it take?
2) Disciple women to approach Jesus properly 2:9-10
- Approach Him with a pure heart 2:9a – internal
- Approach Him with modest apparel 2:9b – external
- Approach Him with inward beauty 2:9c – heart
- 1 Pet. 3:3-4
- Approach Him with works of blessing 2:10 – works
- 1 Sam. 16:7
- 1 Tim. 5:11-14.
3) Disciple women to worship Jesus _______________ 2:11
4) Disciple women to worship Jesus ____________ 2:12-15
Worship God in humble purity!
- Men, lead in worship with prayer in humble confidence before God. Get off your laurels and on your feet, bottom or knees and lead. Women will follow.
- Women, emphasize the heart and good works, regardless of what other women say and do. Grooming of the soul is far more important than grooming and adorning of your body. A sinful soul will be seen, regardless of grooming.
- Women, recognize godly men will respect Paul’s words and lead; run from foolish men.
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) Did anyone teach you how to pray in life? Is it easy for you?
- Initial prayer came from my mother, who taught me to say a bedtime prayer.
- I learned about prayer in confirmation and then in a Christian organization in college.
- Prayer is easy now, because I have so much to talk to the Lord about and He’s interested.
2) How important is posture in prayer? _Not as important as the heart___ What do the following verses express about prayer (1 Kings 8:22; 2 Chron. 6:13; Ezra 9:5; Ps. 28:2; 141:2; Lam. 2:19)? Is that different than how people pray today? Why do you suppose that is?
- 1 Kings 8:22 Solomon stood and prayed with his hands raised
- 2 Chron. 6:13 Solomon knelt and prayed with hands raised
- Ezra 9:5 Ezra tore his robe, knelt and prayed with hands raised
- Ps. 28:2 prayed toward sanctuary with raised hands
- Ps. 141:2 prayed at evening sacrifice with raised hands
- Lam. 2:19 Jeremiah directed to lift hand toward God for the children
3) Is there more than one posture that God records in Scripture? _yes_What do you learn from the following verses (Gen. 17:3; 24:26; 2 Sam. 7:18; Ps. 24:4; Ps. 66:18; Dan. 6:10; Luke 18:11; John 17:1)?
- Gen. 17:3 Abraham fell on his face before God
- Gen. 24:26 Isaac’s servant bowed his head and worshiped
- Ps. 66:18 Prayer holding sin will not be heard from God
- Dan. 6:10 Daniel knelt and prayed as was his custom
- Luke 18:11Pharisee stood and prayed from pride
- John 17:1 Jesus raised His eyes to heaven
4) How important are relationships on earth when considering worship? _very__ What does Matthew 5:22-24 teach about relationships and worship?
- If I have anger in my attitude, then I am deserving of hell
- If I remember my brother has something against me, then I am to go and be reconciled with him and then offer my worship (sacrifice), if it is possible
Making application of the message to life:
5) What are several ways that you would encourage and disciple men to pray in public?
- When alone with them, ask him (them) to pray after me.
- Ask them to pray about a specific request.
- Direct that prayer go around the room, each having a turn, unless he may want to bypass by touching the next guys side knee.
- Affirm the man each time that he did well.
- Let him know, he’s advancing well.
6) What principles of discipleship should be followed to help men see the need to lead in worship?
- Address the role of men to lead.
- Affirm the role of men to lead.
- Make sure they have opportunities to practice.
- Affirm their opportunities.
- Come alongside of him and do it with him.
- Do not make fun of a guy if he forgets something.
7) Who all is responsible for discipling women with the principles of adornment and good works? How do you see that we should make this happen in a godly way?
- Older women are the first line of discipleship, especially mothers for daughter.
- Older women coming alongside all women.
- Teachers in Fellowship Groups and the pulpit
- Ultimately, the Lord will disciple through the Holy Spirit as He leads through the Word.
- The whole church is responsible to care for one another 1 Cor. 12:19-20.
- The question is, who will do it?