These are suggested answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions for the message given on November 10, 2013. They are designed to stimulate thinking, not preclude thinking.
1 Tim. 1:13, 12-14
Why should we burst forth declaring Jesus?
1) Jesus is the Savior of the world 1:15
- Faithful saying –
- Christ Jesus came out of the glory of heaven to earth.
- What was Jesus’ purpose?
- Who does the world think will save/deliver them?
- I’m chief – 53 A.D. 1 Cor. 15:9; 61 A.D. Eph. 3:8 63-4 A.D.
2) Jesus is merciful and longsuffering 1:16
- I am the chief sinner, but I obtained mercy to show God’s patience. Gal. 2:20.
- When people grovel, they believe in __________ theology .
- What is your brokenness about? _____________ 1 John 5:4-5; Rom. 10:17
3) Jesus is King forever and ever 1:17
- Eternal – Heb. 13:8; Ps. 90:2
- Immortal – 1 Pet. 1:7
- Invisible – Col. 1:15,16; Heb 11:27
- The Only wise God – Rom. 16:27; Jude 1:25
- Be honor and glory
You’re here so Jesus can show the world His grace in action!
- Your past is not the issue.
- Your present reflects the character of God in action.
- Your future will always get better, because you’ll be conformed to Christ.
- He will make everything available to you. You get the opportunity to reveal His glory!
Message Based Discussion Questions
1) What are characteristics you know about God’s character?
- God is sovereign – He controls all things.
- God is holy – He is completely unique.
- God is righteous – He is right in all things and is the standard.
- God is love – He acts for the sake of others.
- God is omnipotent – He is able to do anything according to His will.
2) Can you trust what Paul is saying in 1 Timothy 1:15? _yes__ Notice the “faithful sayings” of 1 Tim. 3:1; 4:9-10; 2 Tim. 2:11-13; and Titus 3:5-8. What do you learn from these sayings?
- 1 Tim. 3:1 – those who aspire to be an overseer, seek a good thing
- 1 Tim. 4:9-10 – Jesus is Savior of all men
- 2 Tim. 2:11-13 – if we died, we shall live; If we endure, we will reign with Him; If we deny Him, He remains faithful
- Titus 3:5-8 – we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit, Who is poured out abundantly and we are justified by His grace.
3) What are the two key concepts of 1 Timothy 1:15? _Jesus is Savior__ and __Paul is a chief sinner_. What are the similarities between 1 Tim. 1:15 and Eph. 2:1-9?
- Jesus was given to die for us. Jesus displays God’s kindness to all. Those who believe will sit with the Savior.
- Paul as chief sinner is one among all those who were spiritually dead in the world.
4) Did Paul always put himself down (cf. Gal. 2:6-10)? _no_ He did acknowledge his perspective (1 Cor. 15:9; Eph. 3:8; 1 Tim. 1:15; Rom. 7:24; Gal. 1:13; Acts 26:11). What do you learn about Paul? How do you see yourself?
- Paul was one of the pillars as with the other apostles Gal. 2:6-10
- 1 Cor. 15:9 – He was the least of the apostles
- Eph. 3:8 – He was the least of the saints
- 1 Tim. 1:15 – He was the chief of sinners
- Rom. 7:24 – He wanted to be set free from body of death.
- Gal. 1:13 – He used to persecute the church
- Acts 26:11 – He punished Christians in the synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme.
Extra credit: How old do you think God is? _Infinite__What do you learn from the following passages regarding God (Ps. 102:27; Dan. 7:9; 2 Pet. 3:8)? What kind of aches and pains do you think He has?
- Ps. 102:27 – no end to His years
- Dan. 7:9 – ancient of days
- 2 Pet. 3:8 – one day is a thousand years to God
- He has no aches and pains, since He is Spirit
Making application from this message to life:
5) What are three things for which you would offer praise to who God is and what He has done?
- He is good all the time and saved my soul.
- He has blessed me by putting me into ministry to shepherd people.
- He continues to sustain me through every peak and valley and is totally sufficient in all things.
6) What are three perspectives you have that would be helpful for God to change for you to better reflect Him?
- He needs to help me find the balance to accept where I am and continue plugging forward to serve Him.
- He needs to continue to help me see my selfishness about temporal things rather than living for the eternal.
- He needs to continue to help me see how to delegate ministry to other people and learn how best to follow up so people are encouraged to press toward the upward call of God.
7) Are you ready to burst forth to declare the character of Jesus? What could you do to be ready to tell others?
- Yes, I practiced it three times this week.
- I need to continue to walk intimately with Him and keep my eyes on Him through listening to people and talking about Jesus. I need to continue to be ready to seek the things above, not the things on earth (Col. 3:1-3).