The following is a Message Based Discussion Questions developed for the message given by Dan Standridge on John 17:1-5 for Oct 27, 2013. These are designed to stimulate thinking.
1) When a missionary comes to church, what do you think about?
- I think about all the great opportunities the Lord has given me to see other lands when I’ve gone on missionary trips.
- I think about the food and culture of those lands.
- I think about the denial of self that the missionary chooses to live where he does.
- I think about how most are far away from family to serve the present Lord.
2) How would you describe the Trinity? How does the Trinity reveal love for each other? Compare 1 John 4:9-10 on the definition of love (love is willing to die for another, or give from self to another). How should we demonstrate that love to reflect the Godhead to others?
- Three in one and one in three, which is a concept impossible to fully understand. It’s called an antinomy. Each member of the Godhead is equal in essence, characteristics and attributes, but they have different roles. They are God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.
- Each member of the Trinity is fully given to each other. There is perfect love for each other. They have perfect unity and harmony. When One says something, you know that He is in agreement with the others (unlike in a family, business or church). Each Member of the Trinity would do what is best for the other Member.
- We should deny ourselves by taking up our cross (considering ourselves dead to our personal wants) and give to or serve one another.
- We will put others before ourselves (Phil. 2:3-4).
- We will lay aside our personal desires for the sake of others (Jam. 4:3).
- When we know the right thing to do, we will do it (Jam. 4:17).
3) Dan Standridge talked about the glory of God. What do you learn about the glory of God from Psalm 19:1; Romans 3:23; 5:2-5; 15:7; 1 Cor. 10:31; 2 Cor. 4:6,15?
- Ps. 19:1 – The heavens declare the glory of God.
- Rom. 3:23 – We fall short of God’s glory.
- Rom. 5:2-5 – We hope in the glory of God that we will enter into His glory.
- Rom. 15:7 – We will receive one another to the glory of God.
- 1 Cor. 10:31 – We will do all things to the glory of God, even eating and drinking.
- 2 Cor. 4:6,15 – We will let God’s glory shine out from us because we have been transformed and His glory shines from us; which causes many to praise and abound to the glory of God.
4) To whom does all glory belong (Is. 42:8; 48:11)?__God___ What happens if we do not give glory that way (Mal. 2:2)? What do we need to do in order to insure that is who gets the glory?
- God sent a curse upon Israel and would curse the blessings He had given. He won’t allow it.
- Be very humble and mindful of God’s presence.
- Keep my eyes on Jesus and walk in obedience. Heb. 12:1; John 14:15
- Examine myself to see that I am walking in the faith. 2 Cor. 13:5
- Ensure that it is Christ who is living through me. Gal. 2:20
- Expect that miracles of transformation and production are happening in my life. Rom. 12:2
- Remain connected to Jesus through devotions, meditation and silence. 2 Tim. 2:15
- Be still and know that God is. Ps. 46:10
Making application of the message to life:
5) Dan talked about the kiss of a missionary to a homeless person as the “kiss of God.” How is that a picture of the love of God and what are other ways that the love of God can be shown to those outside of the church? To those inside the church?
- It removes me from my comfort zone and exposes my vulnerabilities to help another.
- I can show it by serving soup.
- By helping a neighbor to build a bridge in the relationship.
- Stopping to help someone in need.
- Stopping myself from squandering time and using it to serve neighbors.
- Spending time with a lonely person.
- I can show it to people in the church by watching their children
- By serving as an usher or deaconess.
- By picking up their children when they are sick.
- By visiting when they have a problem.
- By coming alongside in discipleship.
- By coming alongside in accountability for spiritual growth.
- By weeping with them about their sin.
6) What kinds of attitudes do we need to have in order to reveal His glory to others?
- Peace that surpasses all comprehension. Phil. 4:6-7
- Joy that exudes confidence in the Lord. Gal. 5:22
- Love that considers the other person above all else. Phil. 2:3-4
- Hope in trouble that God abounds. Rom. 15:13
- Mercy instead of revenge. Rom. 12:17-21
- Grace to the undeserving. 2 Cor. 9:8
7) What is one thing you can do this week to put this into practice?
- Reach out to my new neighbor with a blessing of food and welcome.