This is the Questions and considerations for answers to the Message Based Discussion Questions for the message “Expectations in Relationships” given on Februrary 17, 2013. The manuscript was posted on February 19, 2013. The insert in included below with the blank questions followed by considerations for answers below that. How would you answer the questions? That’s what matters to the Lord.
How does Jesus want you to approach relationships?
2) Jesus wants you to serve others John 13:4-5
3) Jesus wants you to disciple people to truth John 13:6-17
4) Jesus wants you to rise above adversities John 13:18-30
5) Jesus wants you to overcome by loving others exactly as He does John 13:31-35
· If you expect people to always do the right thing; remember your dates, name, appts.; anniversary. If you expect people to be civil, raise their kids to be perfect, come to church with their saintly face on. If you expect people to protect the holiness of others, expect display of modesty, or not use course jokes. Acts 20:29-30 distorted, misinterpreted; 1 Cor. 16:9.
· Expectations can be wonderful IF godly, or they can harm
· Compassion – genuine awareness of another’s suffering that leads to a desire to help.
· Forgiveness – pardon for an offense without treating him as a offender
· Forbearance – patience under provocation. Willing to stand alongside someone in trouble.
1) Means I accept suffering and am willing to endure it for another’s sake.
2) Means I’m willing to live with the poor. Jam. 2:1-5
3) Means I resist the temptation to favoritism Jam. 2:1-5
4) Means I’m committed to persevere in hardship.
5) Means rejecting a personal happiness and comfort agenda than another’s standing with God.
6) Means I live with a commitment to forgive.
7) Means I overlook minor offenses by focusing on the big things God is doing.
8) Means I won’t compromise on what is morally right and true. I will point others to God and the Word, and not condemn.
Here are suggested considerations for answers to the questions. How would you answer the questions? This is about your thoughts and understanding, not merely regurgitating what you see below.